Search This Blog

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Seeing Christ In Unredeemed Culture

I am becoming more and more rooted in the belief that the modern church has missed the mark in pointing the world to Christ. The focus within modern church-life is to get people to come to church so that they can hear about Jesus in our language and see Him through our lens. The fact is that most unbelievers simply aren’t attracted to church, a reality that creates a huge barrier to “showing them Jesus,” which I believe is the sincere desire of Christians. We invite them to church, but with all our enticing programs and slick presentations, we still aren’t making a dent on the growing population living in the most dangerous and volatile times this planet has ever seen.

“The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it; the world and all who live in it” says the Psalmist (24:1). That fact tells me that God can use anything and anybody at any time to express His love to mankind. Long have we known that God uses religious voices, but I think that the need of the hour is for us to see that He can also use non-religious voices to declare His truth.

The Bible says that God can speak through clouds, rocks, trees, donkeys, men, women, children, burning bushes, pillars of fire, – the list could go on and on. Here’s a question to reflect upon – can and does God speak through unredeemed culture today? I believe that He does.

Consider me an extremist if you want to, but I believe that even unbelievers can be (and are) used by God to express His love. I have seen His loving face and heard His gentle voice of affection in many non-religious aspects of modern culture.

It amazes me how many Messiah figures there are in movies. I believe the reason we love stories where the hero saves the day is because we know at a deep level that our Hero does exactly that. That’s why we rejoice when we see it onscreen.

I have heard the voice of the Divine Lover in so many things that I used to label “secular.” The whole idea that there are secular things in this world is a delusion. My God owns it all, controls it all, and uses it all for His glory. Even Satan himself can't take one inch of space or one millisecond of time unless my Sovereign Lord gives His permission.

Take music, for instance. I used to think that the Lord only spoke through religious songs, but I don’t believe that anymore. Can you think of non-religious songs that express the sentiment of your Father toward you? How about these:

I said I love you and that’s forever,
And this I promise from my heart.
I could not love you any better.
I love you just the way you are.

Or this one:
You are so beautiful to me.
You are so beautiful to me, can’t you see?
You’re everything I hoped for, you’re everything I need,
You are so beautiful to me.

One more:
Don't give up
It's just the weight of the world When you're heart's heavy
I, I will lift it for you
Don't give up
Because you want to be heard
If silence keeps you
I, I will break it for you
Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don't give up
Because you are loved
Don't give up
It's just the hurt that you hide
When you're lost inside
I, I'll be there to find you
Don't give up
Because you want to burn bright
If darkness blinds you
I, I will shine to guide you
Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don't give up.

The first song is from Billy Joel, the second from Joe Cocker and the last one is Josh Groban. I don’t know if these men are believers or not, but nobody would call these songs “religious.” What if – what if we began to see Jesus in the medium of our culture and point Him out to others within those mediums? What would happen if you told an unbelieving friend that you can’t hear the song “Don’t Give Up” without hearing Jesus sing it to you. Do you think that, from that day forward, the song would be a witness to them of His love every time they hear it? I do.

Let’s redeem the movies and music and allow our Father to use it to speak to us and to minister to others. I know it’s a stretch when we come to musicians that blaspheme Christ, but ironically, even any talent they may possess originates from our Father. A prostituted gift is no less a gift.

May God’s Spirit broaden our understanding to realize that Jesus isn’t locked up down at the church building between Sundays, waiting for us to bring people to His house and introduce them. No, our Savior is on the move. He’s on the radio, at the movies, in the theater, on TV, at the concerts and on the sports fields and courts.

He is there, right in front of us all, at every minute of every day. May God give His church “eyes to see and ears to hear” and may we point others to Him that they might hear Him in their language and see Him through their own “lens.”

4 comments:

  1. Steve,

    I had God speak to me though a secular song one time. It was "Broken Road" by Rascal Flats. I was going through a time when I was wishing I would have come to Christ earlier in my life. I was looking back at all of the time I had wasted living for myself instead of for Him. He spoke to me through this song and told me that my life and the timing of when I was saved was all part of His plan. All the mistakes I made, consequences I suffered, and dreams that were broken all pointed me to Him. Just as Jesus came at just the right time, we are saved at just the right time. Here are the lyrics, I apologize if the format doesn't come out right:

    I set out on a narrow way many years ago
    Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
    But I got lost a time or two
    Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
    I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you
    Every long lost dream led me to where you are
    Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
    Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
    This much I know is true
    That God blessed the broken road
    That led me straight to you

    I think about the years I spent just passing through
    I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
    But you just smile and take my hand
    You've been there you understand
    It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

    Every long lost dream led me to where you are
    Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
    Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
    This much I know is true
    That God blessed the broken road
    That led me straight to you

    Now I'm just rolling home
    Into my lover's arms
    This much I know is true
    That God blessed the broken road
    That led me straight to you

    That God blessed the broken road
    That led me straight to you.


    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Steve! I have used love songs to sing praise or worship to Father for years and would like to share one with you.
    Have I Told You Lately by Van Morrison, Rod Stewart and others.
    Have I told you lately that I love you
    Have I told you theres no one else above you
    Fill my heart with gladness
    Take away my sadness
    Ease my troubles thats what you do.

    For the morning sun in all its glory
    Greet the day with hope and comfort too
    You fill my life with laughter
    And somehow you make it better
    Ease my troubles thats what you do.
    Theres a love thats divine
    And its yours and its mine like the sun
    And at the end of the day
    We should give thanks and pray
    To the one, to the one.
    Years ago I knew the Lord was telling me I was going to be dealing with death thru a Van Halen song Right Now. My brother had a heart attack and my girlfriend was critically ill from a dog bite at that time. But it turned out to be my mom who had cancer.
    Thanks for letting me share!
    Blessings!
    Lil

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read this post, so many thoughts came to mind, and I thought it would be impossible for me to just leave a brief comment. :) So I was going to just leave a quick "Amen!" but then I was 'inspired' to share a testimony of how God used one "unredeemed" song in particular to speak to me about how my true identity was longing to get out and live, but had been 'crushed' by today's church culture. So instead of a long comment here, I posted a (somewhat lengthy) account on my blog. :)

    The short version: In the song "Kings of the Wild Frontier" by Adam & the Ants (we're talking late 70's), a line jumped out at me last year (after I'd heard the song a million times): "I feel beneath the White there is a Redskin suffering from centuries of taming."

    The "non-spiritual" message is that a man feels that underneath his white skin, there is an Indian Warrior suffering due to the "tame" culture he is living in.

    But that day it spoke to me in a very spiritual way. I have known about the "grace walk" for over a decade. I've been learning it and living it, and sharing it with others. But yet today's church culture still had me in somewhat of a "religious box," and I was truly suffering on the inside because of it. God used this song (along with some marriage issues, some great counseling, and the "Wild at Heart" book by John Eldredge - along with my previous understanding of the grace walk) to free me to live in my true identity in Christ, and not in the rigidity of modern church culture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to say "Thanks". I always have believed that God can use anything to speak to me or others in this world. However, I still felt funny about thinking along the lines of cultural music being one of them. I even still felt funny at times listening to music I grew up with until Grace Walk pointed out to me following the "law factor" is how I like to call it is the wrong Gospel. I am glad you believe it is possible.

    ReplyDelete