Search This Blog

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sayings I Heard In Church As A Child

I was recently looking through some old mementos my Dad left behind. Among them I came across a church bulletin reminding us to "pray for the boys in Viet Nam." Those in my age bracket well remember how that, every week at church, we were sure to pray for "the boys in Viet Nam." It caused me to start thinking about other expressions I heard then that aren't frequently heard in church anymore.

"Ya'll pray for us as we sing. We didn't get to practice much."
"Bless those who give and those who are not able to give."
"Every head bowed, every eye closed, no one looking around."
"Build a hedge of protection about 'em, Lord." (Usually the boys in Viet Nam)
"Give us (or them) traveling mercies."
"Bless the preacher as he preaches and hide him behind the cross."
"Bless this food and the hands that prepared it."

And my two personal favorites:
"You may not go to hell for smoking, but you'll sure smell like you've been there."

And finally . . . "They're out there in those bars on Saturday night drinking the devil's vomit!"

Ah, the good ole days :)

1 comment:

  1. Actually Steve, I HAVE heard some of those fairly recently... although I don't think that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete