Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

How I Learned To Dance

I didn’t grow up dancing. In fact, the message I received was that the reason premarital sex was wrong was because it might lead to dancing. Okay, maybe that’s not true, but dancing was one of the big no-no’s at my house. We could tap our feet to the Lawrence Welk Show and I could even sing along with the 1960s Rock-n-Roll music of WRBN but that’s as far as it went.

My wife, Melanie, however didn’t grow up in such an environment. Lively music and dancing in the living room were as much a part of her family life as having meals together. Something about that caused me to envy her when we were teens. I wanted to dance but I just didn’t know how and, plus, I was afraid Jesus might come while I was dancing and was convinced that would be an awkward moment if He did.

Sometime around our 20th Wedding Anniversary we went on a cruise to celebrate. As we sat listening to the music and watching others on the dance floor, Melanie asked me, “Let’s dance?”

“You know I don’t know how to dance,” I told her. I had taken her to two dances when we were in high school but I stood on the sidelines and we didn’t stay long. She didn’t like it then and she still didn’t like it.

“Come on, there’s nothing to it,” she responded.

On the one hand I knew I didn’t know how to dance but on the other I wanted to please my wife. I sat silently for a few moments and watched the other men with the wives on the dance floor. I began to note something I’d not previously known. Most men can’t dance. They’re just props for the women who do dance.

I watched the guys shuffle back and forth from foot to foot with their hand raised to chest level and began to think that maybe I could do it after-all.

“Okay, when they play a good song,” I answered.

Shortly the band began to play a song that caused Melanie to say, “Okay, let’s go. This one is easy.”

“What makes you think this is easy?” I asked.

“Because it’s a cha-cha beat,” she said. “Listen to the beat. It’s one, two , one-two-three; one, two, one-two-three.”

I took a deep sigh and onto the dance floor we went. We started to dance. I watched my feet and consciously counted with each step: “One, two, one-two-three. One, two, one-two-three.”

“Don’t watch your feet,” Melanie instructed. “This isn’t hard.”

“I can’t talk to you and count at the same time,” I replied as I now lost count.

“Look at my face,” she said. “Just relax and feel the rhythm.”

I looked at Melanie’s face. “How did I end up married to such a beautiful woman? One who can dance?” I thought.

As the evening progressed, I found that what Melanie told me was true. When I relaxed and began to enjoy being with her instead of focusing on counting, I began to feel the rhythm of the music and, for the first time, I actually began to dance.

The relationship of the Trinity has been compared to a dance for many centuries. Perichoresis, theologians call it. It refers to the interpenetration of harmony between the members of the Godhead that is often compared to dancing. Father, Son and Spirit have been dancing together all along. He has created humanity to participate in The Dance.

Like I was in the beginning on the cruise ship, all of us are at the dance but not all are dancing. Those who have trusted Jesus Christ are participating in the dance while many are wallflowers at the party. We’re all included in the dance and the divine invitation is to get up off that wall and dance!

Too many of us who are dancing become too preoccupied with making sure we don’t miss a step. We’re watching our feet instead of starring into the face of our Dance Partner. We're there, but we’re not really being there. What we need is to relax, look at the One who brought us to the dance and feel the rhythm of grace.

Are you participating in The Big Dance? If not, go ahead. Let loose. Shake off the legalistic inhibitions that hold you back. Get up and get into the grace groove. It really is quite a party and it would be a shame to miss it.

9 comments:

  1. I love it, the dance with God. It's great Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:15 AM

    "Those who were dancing were thought to be insane
    by those who could not hear the music." ...... That's Grace. People who haven't experienced it simply cannot hear the music.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Steve,
    I love hearing the story of Melanie coaxing you to the dance floor. It was not about her making you do something that SHE wanted you to do, but more about her wanting to share a special gift with you. She must have felt loved in a special way by your response. Your surrendering to her coaxing, in spite of your reluctance to risk "looking silly", was a sweet demonstration of your deep love for her.

    Your personal story, along with the analogy of God's gift of grace and how it moves us to the freedom to "dance in our lives", is powerful. I love the quote one of your readers (The Woman at The Well) shared: "Those who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." It reminds me that the experience of falling down in life and bearing the burden of judgement from others, makes the music of His grace so much sweeter. The melody and rhythm of His grace is so strong, that when experienced, the pull to the dance floor is irresistible!

    May more and more experience the music of His grace, so that they will be moved to dance before Him,
    Cindy Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. great analogy Steve! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blessed union of you and Melanie Steve is like to that above and a challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you the man felt inadequate to dance with your beloved! God's love reaches and covered your inadequacies and your beautiful woman instructed you in the how-to and you enjoy(ed) fully the dance your beloved got you up to perform. I see the wisdom of, "the melody and rhythmn of His grace," so strong! To join the pull of the dance is irresistible! O the analogies of Christ and His Bride on earth! Good Blog Steve! Dave Candel

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great Steve! There is just something so refreshing and healing reading someone's words who came from the same background as me. It's so amazing to be free to dance and look into the eyes of our Savior knowing He loves us!( Even if we can't dance.) (=

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have depression that often turns into major difficulty and when dealing with medication though helpful side effects are tragically pathos in emotions evoking! So....when the Spirit of the Lord moves upon my heart, I will dance like David danced Zephaniah 3:17.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was young i tried to dance so I would fit in with the crowd. I tried so hard to dance that i looked at my feet and was completeley tense. I hated to dance. It was work for me and couldn't relax. Later on when I got older and started to go to church I learned religion by trying to follow the 10 commandments. Again i was extremely tense and became legalistic and I hated it. But, then, much, much later like in 2009 i heard about your ministry. I was set free and now i finally can relax and enjoy life as God intended. But, i still can't dance in public but i can dance in private with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete