Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Two Covenants, Not One

For the past three weeks, I've been sharing a three-part series of teachings on the "Sunday Preaching" broadcast called, "Two Covenants, Not One." For many years, I stayed confused when I read the Bible because I didn't understand this simple aspect of understanding the Scripture. The Old and New Covenant are very different from each other in many ways. God told those in the old covenant that a day was going to come when He would make a new covenant with His people and it would not be like the covenant He had made with them through their Fathers. (See Jeremiah 31:31-32) Through Jesus Christ, that day came to us so that now the covenant He has made is totally different - not at all the same. It's new and, according to Hebrews 8:13, the old one is "obsolete." It has passed away. It's gone, expired, finished, over!

This fact is a sticking point in many people's minds. "Isn't the Old Testament God's Word?" they will ask? Of course the Old Testament is as much a part of the Bible as the New Testament, but here's a key that will help us immeasurably when we understand it. The Old Testament was not written to us! It was written for us, but not to us. (See Romans 15:4) There's a big difference. That's why the Apostle Paul cautioned Timothy to take great care to ensure that he would "rightly divide the word of truth" when he taught the Bible. (See 2 Timothy 2:15) All kind of trouble is created in our minds and lives when we don't do that.

First of all, the Law was never even given to the Gentiles. It was given to Israel. Consider these texts:

These are the statutes, the ordinances, and the laws that the Lord gave between Himself and the children of Israel on Mount Sinai, by the hand of Moses” (Leviticus 26:46).

He tells His words to Jacob, His statutes and His judgments to Israel. He did not do so to any nation
… (Psalm 147:19-20).

For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves. . . (Romans 2:14).

Christians today put themselves in a confusing cycle of condemnation when they try to apply an Old Covenant mentality to understanding the Bible. The New and the Old don’t mix!

Example: Do you believe your heart is desperately wicked and deceitful above all things? If you do, its' because you've failed to "rightly divide the word." God had Jeremiah tell the people that “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked" (Jeremiah 17:9) but in Romans 5:5 Paul said that "the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts." Which is true? They both are! It was true when Jeremiah said it to those to whom He spoke in the Old Covenant and Paul's words are true for we who live under the New Covenant! Do you see the confusion that happens when we fail to make the distinction between the covenants? There are many biblical texts like that. When we read the Bible, we need to ask ourselves, "Who is speaking? To whom is he speaking? When is He speaking?" These are basic questions that will settle a lot of confusion in reading the Bible.

Remember this: The new covenant doesn't start at Matthew 1:1. It starts at the death of Jesus. The importance of this fact can't be overstated. Hebrews 9:16 says, " For where a testament is, there must of necessity be the death of him that made it." In other words, a Last Will & Testament means nothing until the person who wrote it dies. That's important even when we read the New Testament pages.

For instance, you'll get yourself into a world of confusion if you try to apply the Sermon on the Mount to yourself. Remember that Jesus hadn't died when He spoke those words. He was talking to them, not you. They were a group of people who thought they could gain righteousness by their moral living so Jesus showed them just how impossible that is. He said things like, "If you lust, gouge your eye out. If you steal, cut your hand off." So here's the question: Do you really believe that's what you're supposed to do? "Of course not!" a critic might respond, "It was obvious He didn't really mean that!" Wait, a minute. If you claim that we're supposed to do everything Jesus said, you can't take that cop-out. The Bible isn't a menu you can choose from.

The fact is that if we don't rightly divide the covenants, we will end up treating the Bible like a buffet where we take the things we like but leave the things we don't like. That's no way to treat the Scripture. Better to respect the Scripture enough to accurately interpret it instead. No, Jesus wasn't telling you to pluck your eye out. He wasn't even talking to you.

One more example: Jesus said that if we don't forgive people who have offended us, then God won't forgive those who don't forgive. (See Matthew 6:14-15) Do you really think that's for you??? Do you honestly believe that it's possible that you've trusted Jesus Christ as your Savior, walked with Him, known and loved Him, trusted in His finished work on the cross and now, if it should happen that somebody offends you and you die before you've forgiven them that you won't be forgiven??? Anybody who even slightly uses common sense knows that can't be right!

What's the answer? The answer is that Jesus spoke those words before the cross - before the inauguration of the New Covenant. Notice how everything changed after the cross.

Ephesians 4:32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. Notice here that we forgive because we have already been forgiven, not so we can get it.

What does Colossians 3:13 teach is our motivation to forgive others? "... bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you."

See how everything changes with the end of the Old Covenant and the beginning of the New?

Let's get our covenants separated. That simple step will make a world of difference in understanding our Bibles.

If you want to hear the whole teaching, check out www.gracewalkresources.com in a few days. The whole series will be available there. In the meantime, watch the last installment on www.gracewalk.org. It's part three in this series, called "Two Covenants, Not One."

24 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never ever heard that before. I mean nothing like it at all. That's really interesting and it kind of makes sense. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:36 AM

    Great message Steve. Thank you very much for sharing God's REAL grace message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy CRAP!!! This changes everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had this idea but not this clear..Thank God

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post Steve... Once again!!

    The Old Covenant was between God and Israel, and basically consisted of God promising the Jews a geographical area called the promised land. No other nation could inherit under this covenant, in fact we see God in numerous occations acting against the other nations on Israel's behalf.

    How confusing it is when we try to take onto ourselves a set of regulations never intended for us in the first place! I wrote a 2-part message on this a few months ago as well:

    http://www.newcovenantgrace.com/old-testament-end-pt-1/
    http://www.newcovenantgrace.com/old-testament-end-pt-2/

    In Grace
    Andre

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have heard this before, many times from Wayne Monbleau, but this clarified so much... a weight is lifted today,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely !!! get the word out!

    two out of print books to read on this subject are janowski's "the evangelical essential" and weavers' "the gospel solution". neither are new covenant preachers.

    regarding the sermon on the mount, it makes perfect sense if Jesus meant it all literally. ...i sometimes tell people that, if it could get you into heaven, it *is better* to tear out your eye or cut off your hand. or that it's true: only those who are perfectly merciful would receive mercy without Christ, perfectly peacemaking would get peace with God, etc... of course, no one is perfect and hands and eyes don't make us unfit for heaven, so the SOTM actually pushes us to the cross.

    my one critique is about forgiving others and the interpretation of those two verses. ...i believe that we forgive not *because* God forgave us, but because we are in union with God and our spirit desires to forgive every bit as much as God wants to forgive. it is less a response to what God has done for us (forgive us), and more a response to what God has recreated us into (forgiving spirits in union with Him).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thnaks for this Steve. As someone who recently made a decisive break with my Messianic Jewish friends over this issue, it is liberating to find out how much greater the new covenant is and how much more freedom we have in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Steve!!

    It's amazing how many churches still use the 10 commandments and aim it at Gentiles as a main part of the Gospel supposedly. Eg church signs still often use the 10 commandments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both covenants were to Israel only. They were made promises not made to the church. We are saved by grace through faith in the finished work of the cross to rule and reign with Him as joint heirs. Israel are going to have a king a a kingdom on the earth. He will be their King and Israel will be ruled by 12 tribes with the Lord as their King. Two distinct bodies of believers saved in different ways and serving two different ways under one God. Peter is correct when he preaches in Acts that their sins MIGHT be blotted out WHEN the time of refreshing comes. That is when the new covenant will be in place. Peter was preaching AFTER the cross. No talk of Jesus died for your sins. He didn't know still. Only in Acts 15 and Gal 2 when Paul communicated the gospel given to Him by the risen Lord did he find out things had changed. The church isn't an off shoot of Judiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve, you just basically said I can ignore everything Jesus said before He died. I have a problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Veronica - you basically didn't understand the post. My view is that we should honor and respect the words of Jesus enough to properly interpret and understand them. Do you personally apply everything Jesus said to yourself? If so, have you cut off your hand? (I assume you've used your hand to sin at some point in your life) Have you gouged out your eye? (I assume you've lusted for something or somebody at some time in your life.) Go through what Jesus said in Matthew 5 alone and you'll see that despite your problem with what I've said, you don't do what Jesus said about these examples I've given as well as other things He said there. Do you see the point? We must understand the context into which Jesus spoke - the people to whom He spoke, the time at which He spoke, etc. Otherwise, because of your misunderstanding you will find yourself in a very conflicting situation because there's no way way you're going to apply every word Jesus said to yourself. Nor are you supposed to. I hope this helps clear up your confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi - this doesn't fully resonate for me , although i'm sure that there is some life in it for me. for example, the words in jeremiah of one's heart being deceitful above all things has great implication for my life today but not at all in a punitive way as some assume. I simply believe that without the help of God, I cannot fully know myself, my motives,etc. I live a reflective life and don't assume that everything i feel as first blush reveals the depths of my emotions. So, in this example, i actually find that passage to be very hopeful and life giving and relevant for me today. I also think there is the whole issue of imagery, allegory, analogy, literalness, etc that transcends 'two covenants'. I simply think that regardless of old/new testament, there are many other aspects that need to be considered as to whether i should literally 'poke my eye' out. So, i would take your words and hold them along with others things that resonate for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just curious, Vickie. What aspect could make you decide that you should literally poke your eye out? Just wondering what that scenario would look like ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. steve - gosh no - there is no scenario that would make me decide that i should poke my eye out. i don't take that statement literally at all - and would not do so regardless of whether it was in the old OR new testament. that was the point i was trying to make. i don't think it was meant literally for ANY group. conversersely my point was that things IN the old testament have relevance for me and i used your exmaple of 'our hearts are deceitful above all things' as seen thru the veil of Love. so that passage does not make me feel at all 'evil', but rather i hear the invitation to allow God to help me figure out me. so, not sure why you are getting that i should poke my eye out..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whew, my mistake. Glad to hear that, Vickie :) My apology for misunderstanding what you were saying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey steve - i think that the way i wrote it fostered a miscommunication. i really just meant that regardless of whether that showed up (old or new testament) i would not take it literally, b/c i think many factors come into play in terms of how i want to understand something beyond if it is old or new , including the culture of the times, the people who were being spoken to, AND things like analogy, allegory, poetry, imagery etc. it may be that i just didn't grasp the main point of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Steve, before my husband and I listened to your Sunday preaching this morning, we were discussing last weeks sermon on the 2 covenants. I said, If all this stuff we're learning is true, then in Luke when Jesus taught his disciples to pray, we don't imitate that and ask for forgiveness because we've been forgiven. But why would that be in the bible. Seems like it would lead a whole bunch of people astray. Everyone I know asks for forgiveness when they pray. Why didn't Jesus just say, we'll when you guys pray, you have to ask for forgiveness, but after I die, no one will because they'll be forgiven. I always read it like Jesus was teaching me how to have a relationship with Father. But when he said that he was teaching me how the Jews had a relationship with Father? How they were supposed to pray? I wished they asked him, what about after you die... how should all of those people pray? Just grappling out loud... please help clarify this for us. I love what you said in your sermon today... Truth will resinate in your spirit long before you can wrap your head around it. I feel like that's where I am. What you said about the covenant resinates in my spirit, but my head doesn't get it yet. Also, my husband brought up 1 John 1:9 - "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." That was new covenant because it was written after Jesus died, but it sounds like more if/then talk... more like old covenant talk. Why does it have to say, "If we confess... he'll forgive."? Why not... acknowledge your need for God so you can experience his forgiveness and grace. Also Gal. 5:21 - "... those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God." That also sounds like performance talk/old covenant talk. I guess after hearing/reading it for 20 years through a certain lens, it'll take time to undo that thinking. Right now I'm feeling a bit frustrated that it's written like that. I wish it would just say... You won't experience the full life that God planned for you if you're living out of the flesh like that. Maybe those who live like that are not experiencing the life of God.
    When I read what I wrote, it sounds like I have a better way... I just don't know any other way to express this. But these are a few scriptures that are a stumbling block for me and keep me from fully embracing the grace you talk about. Thanks for providing a safe place for questions!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous12:04 PM

    Wonderful!! My husband and I first heard this when our Pastor, Joe Child, at Impact Christian Center in Colorado taught us. We have since moved back to Florida and are enjoying a wonderful grace teacher Pastor Allen Speegles teachings online. Thank you and keep on sharing the Good News!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Steve, Why was your resonse to Veronica so harsh? Because she simply didn't agree with you?
    I am confident you have heard what happens when someone "Assumes" something. . . . which you pointed out twice to her. I guess I am really disappointed with your reply to someone you have never even met. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  21. ckoch - I didn't intend for my response to Veronica to be harsh nor reading it now does it sound that way to me. The constant risk with emails, comment boxes, etc is that the writer's tone can't be clearly seen and can be misunderstood. My response to Veronica was simply an effort to make a point in a clear way. Is it possible that Veronica understood it the way I intended and didn't think it was harsh as you did? If Veronica indicates that she thought I was being harsh, I'll certainly apologize to her and assure her that my response wasn't intended to sound that way. Ironically, there have been times when other people have commended me for the way I respond to my critics. (However, in this instance, I didn't even see Veronica comment as critical - just one that evidenced confusion about what I wrote.) When a person writes/speaks/responds to others as much as I do, there will always be instances where people from time to time misjudge my intent or meaning. Your "assumption" has led you to that faulty conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Michelle - I agree with you in wishing that Jesus had said some things in a different way :) It seems He could have made it easier for us to understand at times, but then again I've seen myself many times that no matter how something is said there is always the possibility of being misunderstood.

    In regard to asking for forgiveness, I've done teaching on this many times. Go back and look through some of the Grace Talk segments (the questions are listed below the videos) and you'll see where I've addressed the 1 John 1:9 question there.

    The fact is that, while the Bible certainly doesn't contradict itself, there are many ambiguous passages there that people understand in different ways. I think a key in understanding a text is to ask, "How does this somewhat confusing text fit with what I already know the Bible plainly teaches in other places?"

    I encourage you to keep watching the Sun Preaching, reading these blogs, etc and the Holy Spirit will answer your ongoing questions in His time. I still have questions myself that I'm waiting for Him to answer, but in the meantime I am committed to believing and embracing His bizarre (from a human standpoint) grace and letting His love be my starting place in understanding. Answers will come by and by, but until they do, we can cling to the reality of His loving grace and accept that we will probably have questions all our lives. The key is learning to live comfortably with both.

    I hope this helps...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post steve. thanks.

    ReplyDelete