Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Michael Jackson

Like many others, I've been asked to weigh in on the death of Michael Jackson. The strongest message that comes to me through all of this has to do with something he recently said. I believe the most poignant words about his life are his own words to a Jewish Rabbi who had recently spent time with Michael in preparation for a book he was going to write about the entertainer's life. (You can read the article at http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1245924935526&pagename=JPArticle%2FShowFull)

In an article in The Jerusalem Post yesterday, Rabbi Shmuley Boteach wrote the following words about Michael Jackson:

I will never forget what he said when we sat down to record 40 hours of conversations where he would finally reveal himself for a book I authored. He turned to me and said these haunting words: "I am going to say something I have never said before and this is the truth. I have no reason to lie to you and God knows I am telling the truth. I think all my success and fame, and I have wanted it, I have wanted it because I wanted to be loved. That's all. That's the real truth. I wanted people to love me, truly love me, because I never really felt loved. I said I know I have an ability. Maybe if I sharpened my craft, maybe people will love me more. I just wanted to be loved because I think it is very important to be loved and to tell people that you love them and to look in their eyes and say it."

With all the talk about the life he lived and the death he died, the above quote from Michael Jackson may be the most important admission of his life. What does that say to the rest of us? It reminds us of the opportunity we have to love people with the authentic love of Jesus Christ. Where Michael Jackson stood spiritually, I don't know. I do know that he was a man in search of love. There are many others like him among those who are famous, those who are infamous and those who fit neither category.

There's a line in the sand with religion on one side and Jesus Christ on the other. Religion harshly judges the people that Jesus loves. I want to spend the rest of my life being on the right side of the line, don't you? Who knows what difference you will make in somebody's life if you do.

8 comments:

  1. What a great compassionate commentary. Yet, challenging. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Michael, I have often looked for achievement to bring me love. When I didn't get it from that, I looked for comfort from substances (food and alcohol), etc., etc. "Looking for love in all the wrong places," as the song says. Jesus is the only source that really satisfies . . .

    A good lesson.

    MV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael might well be asking, "what if God is nothing like I imagine Him to be?" Is He a harsh judge? Romans 8:1 answers, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. God is accepting and affirming.
    I heard on facebook that Andrae Crouch and his sister Sandra ministered to MJ about three weeks ago and that He is a new believer. I pray it is so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve
    Very deep thoughts when you start to contemplate them. The Gospel Good news is a trumpet call of what already is true. Father, Son and Holy Spirit in their love for all humanity has given us a Spiritual longing of themselves, it is not something we work up. Some have come to participate in this reality, while others knowingly refuse, with the vast majority not knowing why they feel this way. Father, Son and Holy Spirit are relationship and humanity has been included. We need to change our mind from our own delusional religions. John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Steve, for this message of love..."what the world needs now..." is God's love...I'll use this in my Sunday School lesson tomorrow.
    Earline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Steve, i feel that many people are seeking after love, I feel they are looking in the wrong place. May God give us the love of Christ in our hearts to share the real meaning of love, and to show it in our lives so that people may be attracted to Jesus Christ and to His Grace and Love when they find Christ , only then will they have experienced real Love.
    Billymac

    ReplyDelete