Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What Color Is A Yield Sign?

Note the title of this blog and answer the question: What color is a yield sign? Depending on your age, you will probably give one of two answers. Answer the question in your mind before you keep reading to see if you get it right.

Ready?

A yield sign is red and white. If your answer was yellow, you are revealing something about your age. Yield signs haven't been yellow since 1971. If you doubt me on this, google "yield sign colors" and see for yourself.

As many yield signs as I've seen over the past decades, I still would have bet they are yellow today. The reason is because they were yellow for nearly twenty years and that's when I learned what a yield sign is. It is a strange fact that once we've learned something and become used to it being that way, it is very hard to change our perception. That's true even when evidence to the contrary is right under our nose.

What many of us have done in our perception of the color of yield signs, we've done with our perspective on the Christian life. We have held faulty beliefs about God, about ourselves, about the Christian life and many other aspects of our faith. Then when we are confronted with the truths related to the grace walk, we still can't seem to shake our old faulty belief system. It's not easy to realize that what we've thought was sacred doctrine was really nothing more than sacred cows.

Are you willing to have your mind be changed? Just because we've believed something for a long time or, for that matter, even until now doesn't mean that we're correct. May the Holy Spirit open our eyes to see the truth and be set free from old ways of thinking and believing that are inconsistent with what really is true.

Note: If you live outside the U.S. the color of the signs may be different. For instance, some of the yield signs in Canada are still yellow, but in the U.S. law required the change in the early 70s so you haven't seen a yellow sign since then. As you drive in the days ahead, take notice and you'll see.

6 comments:

  1. I answered yellow & was born in 1974 ;) So much for having a license for 18 years.

    This whole "renewing of the mind" thing & chunking the old belief system terrorizes me sometimes. It always surrounds a situation that gets me excited or angry...high emotions...and the first thing that goes is my mouth. I still can cuss like a sailor. I would love to offer that cow up as a pleasant smell to God and just be done with it already...It really drives me nuts- and it drives my kids crazy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Anderson-Walsh has an excellent chapter in his other-wise excellent book The Bonsai Conspiracy called "Frightened By Freedom".

    Comprehending and moving into the freedom we truly have in the Spirit can be a confusing and frightening process (I wrote about some of my personal experience with it here- http://qxzlool.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html)

    But the end is well worth the process- our eyes are opened and we can see the true color and beauty of God's design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,
    I said "Yellow," in answer to your question. Thanks for making me feel old, haha.
    I love that illustration, though, for clinging to old beliefs which don't line up with the Bible.
    The yield sign for me represents my almost life-long belief that I needed to "rededicate" myself to the Lord, time and time again--to try harder.
    Of course, I now no longer do that. The yield sign has a different color . . .

    Thanks,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember listening to a buddy of yours talking about projecting inkblots on a wall before an audience along with a silhouette of a cow, then removing the cow from the projection, funny thing is, the audience still saw the cow even though it wasn't there anymore. So the guy likened it to the grace message and reminded people that they may still see their sacred cow's even after they've learned the truth.
    Great post
    Thanks.
    Best
    Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the analogy.

    I was born in 1981 though and I sat there wondering if they were yellow or red before I read on. I didn't have an answer. I wonder why I thought they could be yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the same analogy I have been using for several months, going so far as to use it in a short sermon. My wife ran accross this posting today. So close to the what we have been saying it looks like someone pledgerized, not accusing.

    ReplyDelete