Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2007

Making Our Days Count


Psalm 90:12 says, "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." There is a benefit to understanding that our days are numbered. Knowing that we have a finite number of days in this world can motivate us to make the time we have left really count for eternity. This morning I came across a website at www.tombclock.com that will project your date of death based on answers you give about your present lifestyle choices. It is an interesting subject.

The date the site projects for my death is September 14, 2034. It tells me, at this moment, that I have 842,961,411 seconds left to live. Of course, we all know that nobody can be so precise in predicting when we will die, but I think a powerful point is made, nonetheless. There is a definite day and hour when you will leave this earth-life and the opportunities of this world will be gone.

On His last night, Jesus prayed to His Father, "I glorified you on the earth, having accomplished the work which you have given me to do" (John 17:4). You know how many times you've either heard or read how I've stressed that the grace walk is grounded in being, not doing. But that doesn't mean there is no doing. When we understand that we live in union with Deity, we want to do things that honor Him in this life! As my friend, Craig Synder, says, "I don't have to do anything, but I get to do a lot of things!"

I gave up making New Year's Resolutions years ago, but there are some things I want to do a better job of during 2008. Here are a few:

1. I want to love people more:

I've really been convicted (a good biblical word that means "convinced by the Holy Spirit") about my desire to show love to others to a greater extent. I want to show love to my family more, to my friends, even to strangers. I even want to find people who aren't "all that lovable" on the surface and show love to them. Jesus was often criticized for loving the wrong people. That has never happened to me. I wonder why.

2. I want to relax more.

I love the work of the ministry, but I find that I still (as in my legalistic days) tend to get caught up in doing the work of the ministry to the exclusion of down-time. Sometimes I feel like I'm not showing the respect to my family or friends that they deserve because I'm too busy.

To be honest, during 2007, I sometimes found myself groaning inwardly when I looked at my upcoming schedule and that, as they say, "ain't right." I questioned my friend, Bill Gillham about this once a few years ago and he answered in his fatherly and folksy way, "Brother, you've got too much goin'!" Several years later, here I am again. Ugh. Okay, I repent again. This year - "I will say, no." I will say, "no." I will say, "no."


3. I want to let go.


God help me, I'm such a control freak at times. I remember taking an "early childhood memories test" during ministry training one time and it revealed that during my formative years, my belief system became: (1.) The world is scary and (2) people are unreliable, so (3) I need to control my environment to make sure everything works out the way it should.

All my life, I've seen my propensity toward that fatal error. I remember a few years ago when I was praying one morning, I heard the Lord say, "You are not suited for being in control. I, on the other hand, am perfectly suited for it. You cause yourself needless turmoil when you get our two roles confused." Pretty good, huh? I wish I'd listened. Oh well, by God's grace, this year . . .

Those are a few of the things I'm praying the Lord will empower me to do during 2008. They aren't resolutions because my resolve has always proven to be pathetic, but they are prayers.

I want my days to count, however many I may have left. Have you thought about this coming year and what you want to see God's grace accomplish in you, then through you? I think the start of a new year is a natural and good time to think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Steve, I found your website several months ago. Since then I've also read some of your books and have enjoyed them. I really like what you posted here.

    You said: I even want to find people who aren't "all that lovable" on the surface and show love to them.

    That's my desire too especially since I'm dealing with an "unlovable" person right now. I was wondering if you could describe some ways this can actually be done. I appreciate the concept but if you could give some practical examples it would really help me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    If you prefer, I can send you an email and we can discuss it that way.

    Aida

    ReplyDelete