Search This Blog

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Influences In My Life

During my 20 plus years as a local church pastor, I read three books a week every week, every year. (Now, I take some of that time to write instead of read.) Who are the writers that have greatly influenced my thinking? Moving from many years ago until today, here are some of the key people: Early ministry during my 20s' and early 30's: R.A. Torrey, Charles Finney, E.M. Bounds, B.B. Warfield, Charles Spurgeon, F.B. Meyer, J. Sidlow Baxter, Leonard Ravenhill, Carl F.H. Henry, Loraine Boettner, John Owen.

Mid-years from my mid-30's to 50ish: Hudson Taylor, Hannah Whitehall-Smith, Watchman Nee, Andrew Murray, Bill Gillham, F.J. Huegel, Ruth Paxton, Roy Hession, Amy Carmichael, Norman Grubb, Jessie Penn-Lewis, William Law.

The past decade: Robert Capon, Baxter Kruger, Thomas F. Torrance, Karl Barth, C.S. Lewis, Thomas Merton, Richard Foster, Jürgen Moltmann, N.T. Wright, Dallas Willard, Athanasius.

I'm sure I've left out some who may have been more important to me than these names. I don't agree with all these authors wrote, nor did I agree with everything when I first read them. However, they are people who influenced my thinking at the time I read their works.

Some people say we should only read the Bible. Personally, I think that's an immature approach. Our Father has put us in community with a purpose. One aspect of that purpose is that we might learn from each other. None of us "have it all" but as we humbly consider what others have to say, we are able to learn - to grow.

The most important piece of practical advice I could give to anybody, particularly younger people, is to READ. I have four degrees beyond high school and heartily affirm formal education, but I can say unequivocally that the things I have learned from books have educated me in an exponentially greater way than what I've learned in a classroom.

I'm thankful for all these writers I've listed and many others too. Whether I agree with them on every point or not, they have helped to shape me and each is an element of who I am in my mind and ministry today. Who are the people whose writings have most influenced you?

6 comments:

  1. Dear Steve
    I have read the works of many of these authors as well and they had an great influence on me at the time I read their books. Have you ever read the works of Madame Jean Guyon, Brother Lawrence and A.W.Tozer? I learned so much from them.
    Blessings
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have, Mia. All great authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are works of writing influencing myself: Grace Amazing by Steve McVey, What Makes Grace So Amazing by Chuck Smith, Where is Pentecost by Samuel Chadwick, Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey, Francis Schaeffer's "How Shall We Then Live, Be Free by Warren Wiersbe Commentary on Galatians, and The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers, "I Can Do It Diet, " by Don Colbert, In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day by Batterson. The Measure Of A Man by Gene Getz. If God, Why Evil by Norman Geisler. The Circlemaker by Mark Batterson, Grace by Max Lucado, God Loves You by David Jeremiah, Who Do You Think You Are? Discovering Your Identity In Christ. by Mark Driscoll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Steve! I love what you said about community! You are one writer/communicator who has had great impact on my husband and I and our understanding of just how beautiful, loving, and gracious God really is. Your root and fruit series is one of our favorites... do you have that in a book?
    I also have learned a lot from Wayne Jacobson and Greg Boyd's writings and teachings. It seems that God has always provided at least one teacher or fellow sojourner every step of the way to confirm or clarify what he is revealing to my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lifetime Guarantee by Bill Gillham God used to set me free, I found this on a blog by Steve McVey which I stumbled across! Then discovered Norman Grubb and Galations 2 :20 is the believers John 3 :16 for me! But how crazy is this, I've started going to a church pastored by Paul Anderson Walsh!!!! God is wanting me to get the Union message! How gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to mention a currently popular author from Australia now pastoring in Germany which is a difficult way. Look, The Finished Work Of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete