Search This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012

It Is Thanksgiving And I Am Thankful

 
Yes, I am thankful. I am thankful for…
A loving God whose ways are so far above my thoughts and understanding that I never tire of exploring His depths. I can say with honesty that at this point in my life few things actually lift me to a place of transcendence anymore. Sometimes great music will do it. Occasionally, a good play or film can do it.  However, there are many times I often literally feel the thrill of citizenship privileges in His kingdom as revelation that produces overwhelming transcendence settle into the space within my spirit and mind. It is at those moments more than ever that I realize I am not created for this world. It really is just a stopover.

A loving wife with whom I have shared the most intimate matters of life for almost 43 years. We dated for three and in July will be married 40 years. I know her and she knows me. None but my Creator know me in greater authenticity and intimacy. Yet, like Him she loves me with a depth that nurtures fresh life into me at every moment. When she lays her hand on my head at night as we lie in bed, I feel the hand of Jesus. There is no other way to describe it. It’s miraculous. What did I ever do to get this woman???

Four children whose hearts are “after God’s own heart.” My oldest, Andrew, is compassionate, kind, wise and an avid student of eternal truth. He is the son I pray with when I want prayer. My oldest daughter, Amy, wanted to be a missionary when she was a child. Now as a mother of three, husband on one and friend of many, I’d give her my vote for “Missionary of the Year” any year, every year. Her transparency, vulnerability, authenticity and boldness for Christ is unrivaled by anybody I know. She is the child I talk to when I want wise input. My youngest son, David, is passionate, articulate, visionary and resolved to live the dream God placed in his heart.  He is the child I talk to when I want encouragement that makes me believe again. My youngest daughter, Amber, is gentle-hearted, caring, affectionate, and verbally affirming. She volunteered for Hospice just to have an outlet to show love. She’s the child I talk to when I need loving words.

My son-in-law, Cliff, is a wonderful gift to us. I think he's the best Dad I've ever known in my life. Much better than either I or my Dad were. And he loves my daughter more than his own life. What man wouldn't love a son-in-law like that. Son -in-law, huh? No, I'm not under the law on this. Cliff is another son in this family. That's just how it is.


Jessica - the new Mrs. McVey in our family. Married three weeks now to my son, David. I've loved Jessica since I met her. How can a man not love a woman who loves his own son so much? They adore each other like you'd think newlyweds would. Jess is a nurse and has the heart for it. And the best thing I love about her right now? She loves little fat babies. That's what she said. My son, David, agrees. That agreement points to a hopeful future for this old man who is ready for his fourth grandchild. (Right now only Amy and Cliff have children.)  Jessica is the kind of girl I knew David would marry - kind, gentle, caring, funny, emotional and madly in love with him. I look forward to a lifetime ahead with her.

And what man in his right mind can fail to acknowledge grandchildren? I have three who brighten my life more than they could possibly imagine at their ages. Hannah just turned 15 last week. She is beautiful – in every way. She has a great sense of humor and a wisdom that is beyond her years. From the moment I laid eyes on her when she was born, I find it impossible not to smile like I’ve won the lottery every time I lay eyes on her. Jonathan is twelve. With a mild form of autism called Asperger’s Syndrome, he is the quintessential boy with that challenge. Unlike some with his giftedness, he is very outgoing – extremely affectionate, very talkative, laughs at his own jokes even if others don’t and is completely hilarious without even trying to be. He gives great hugs and can remember where an insignificant item was placed two years ago. He is indeed a gift to our family. Jeremy is our youngest grandson. At eleven, he loves sports and is a seriously good baseball player. He pitches a mean fastball and does well as a catcher too. The highlights of our weeks are watching him play ball. He is an exceptionally bright child and is loving and articulate. The important thing to remember here is that I am not at all prejudiced about my grandchildren. Not all all.

My younger sister, Jan, is my only sibling and is the most authentic Christian I’ve ever known. Our parents are in heaven and I’ve known Jan longer than any other person still in this world. She is real, with no pretension at all.   She’s at one time an explosive bundle of laughter, compassion, love, poise, spirited opinions and mystical experiences which have forged her into a New Covenant “Jan the Baptist” who many aren’t sure wouldn’t actually eat wild locusts on a dare but are sure she’d be willing to be beheaded for the Christ she loves. I want to be more like Jan when I grow up, even though she is six years younger than me.
My friends are an eclectic group of people consisting of wild-eye-charistmatics and staunchy-liturgicals; rabid Republicans and dazed Democrats, millionaires and Medicaid recipients, people who shout “That’s right!!!” when I teach and others who whisper, “God, help him!” when they hear some of the things I say.

Some have moved in closer to me this year and others have become strangely quiet. Some I know well, intimately well. Well enough they could hurt me with others if they told everything they know.  They’ve seen me at my worst and still love and accept me. Some I’m getting to know better and enjoying it after meeting through ministry opportunities. We’re trusting each other more and more as time passes. Some are Internet connections but they truly are friends. They’ve encouraged me, prayed for me, written me in private and dialogued with me. I don’t know what else to call them but “friends” and I hope that word will have increasing meaning for them and me in the days ahead.
I’m thankful for my Grace Walk Team. These guys actually threw in with me to do something that from the beginning has run great risks. Their gospel and my gospel is the same gospel. They go with boldness, sharing with vulnerability yet boldness what God has put in their hearts. Contrary to what the public tends to think about people in ministry, they fret and pray and worry and trust and wonder and believe that their financial needs will be met. Just enough to pay the bills this month. They all, without exception have seen their personal income decrease this year, but here they are – ready to turn around and do it again this next year. There is no team of people involved in any ministry that I love or respect more. They aren’t only colleagues. They are friends, partners, and confidants. They are family.    

Yes, I’m thankful. In the ups and downs of life I’ve faced lately, it is this list of God-given assets that have sustained me. It is these who make me love, laugh, hope, believe and anticipate a future that can only be designed by Pure Love Himself.

3 comments:

  1. Reading with tears in my eyes... thank you, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day in 2004 an acquaintance gave me a copy of Grace Walk. I knew God had been relentless in his pursuit of me but I mark that winter day as the beginning of a "Kairos" time... a "season" in my life where the Lord intensified his dealings with me. I read and re-read Grace Walk and then dove into "The Grace Walk Experience"... I picked up on all the references you made to influences in your life and got those books and devoured them. My life is and has been transformed in no small part due to the direct influence of your life and ministry Steve. For our Thanksgiving dinner this year I will testify to my friends and family that I am thankful for Steve McVey.

    Shaloha Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete