Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Decisions We Regret Making

Intimacy with God is challenging if you believe that you’ve made an irrevocable mistake that has brought His disapproval. When we’ve made choices that we believe have fouled things up, it’s hard to really believe that God will give us the very best we might have had otherwise. We sometimes tend to think that even though He will bless us, it won’t be as good as it might have been. Even though we may believe it is our own fault, this kind of attitude will interfere with how we perceive God charting our life course.

Have you made decisions which you believe might have messed up the way your life could have been if you had made wiser choices? There is good news which can set you free from that kind of damaging perspective. The news is that God’s love is bigger than your mistakes! No mistake you have ever made or ever could make will cause your life to jump track.

You belong to God and it is His responsibility, not yours, to insure that you stay the course. That fact is inherent to the very meaning of the word grace, which suggests it’s all up to Him, not you. You may make apparent detours in life, but God’s love for you is great enough that He won’t allow you to veer off His assigned path and wander out of His will for your life.

The Psalmist said that “The Lord has established His throne in the heavens; And His sovereignty rules over all” (Psalm 103:19). This world doesn’t exist in a cosmic setting in which events happen by chance. Everything in existence functions under the superintending guidance of a sovereign God. On the grand scale, “By Him all things were created, in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether [it is] thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities – all things have been created through Him and for Him (Colossians 1:16).

God is a big God who has everything under control. The stars don’t hang there in the sky on nothingness. They are held there by the omnipotent will of a sovereign God. The tide on the beach doesn’t coincidently stop at its boundaries and return to the sea. It is ordered back by divine design. The earth doesn’t keep spinning on its axis under its own momentum. God designed it that way.

However, this same God who attends to the majestic details of the universe also gives meticulous attention to the minutia of life. For instance, the Bible says that He has the hairs of your head numbered. That’s serious attention to detail! Not one baby bird falls out of its nest and dies apart from His direction. (See Matthew 10:29-30). He is God of both the macroscopic and the microscopic. Nothing is too big or too small to be beyond His direct control.

Considering that man is God’s crowning touch in creation and that Christians in particular are His divine workmanship (see Ephesians 2:10), don’t think for a minute that God isn’t up close and personal in the affairs of your life. The Bible says that God “ponders” all your goings. (See Proverbs 5:21) The word denotes the idea of somebody walking alongside you with His face inches away from yours, carefully examining, scrutinizing, analyzing every move you make. Not only does God ponder your actions, but He even ponders your attitudes and the motivation that cause you to do the things you do. (See Proverbs 21:2) Make no mistake about it, God has His eye on you and always has.

There is not one person who is continuously on my mind, but you are never out of God’s conscious thought or away from His immediate attention. He has been obsessed with you for all eternity and can’t take His mind off you. He is so in love with you that He has committed all the resources at His disposal (which are considerable) to your well being. God has never glanced away from you for a moment, so that in that moment you did something He didn’t expect. He has set you right in front of His face and will keep you there forever. (See Psalm 41:12) David, the Psalmist said, “You scrutinize my path” (Psalm 139:3).

Don’t believe the lie which suggests that you have made choices which now negatively affect how God relates to you or limits the extent to which He can use your life for His glory. The prophet Daniel saw it clearly when he said that all the inhabitants of the earth add up to nothing when compared to God’s divine determination. He wrote that God “does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth, no one can ward off His hand” (Daniel 4:35).

Before I understood this truth, one time I was scolding myself for a wrong choice I had made. “Because of my own foolishness, now God can’t do the thing it was obvious He had planned!” I thought as I considered the situation at hand. At that moment, a thought popped into my head and said, “Don’t kid yourself. You’re not that strong.” I think I know whose voice that was, don’t you? God will do what God wants to do and we flatter ourselves when we think that we are big enough to stop it.

(This article is an excerpt from my book, A Divine Invitation. For more information about the book, click here: http://gracewalkresources.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=738 )

11 comments:

  1. It seems to me that there is a fundamental problem with the concept of how you present God's omnipotence in this post. First, let me say that I believe that God is omnipotent. The only thing in the universe that can limit that omnipotence is God himself. For humans to have freewill, God has to "suspend" or "limit" his will to make space for true choices to happen. There are plenty of examples in the Bible where God allows humans to make choices outside his will. The basic element of experiencing God's grace is believing that it is true and for you. God doesn't "force" his grace on us, he allows us to accept it or not. I think the concept of God's sovereignty is another way of saying God's side of grace. God is infinitely intelligence and infinitely resourceful to respond to our needs, and He does that out of his love for us regardless of our acceptance of it or not, but I believe for a true loving relationship to exist, there have to be freewill choice for both parties in the relationship. The basic proof of freewill in the Bible is the fact that some people clearly don't believe and we know that God wills that all would believe.
    However, I do agree with your point that a person's choices cannot limit what God can do with us in the future. In fact, I have seen and experienced many times God taking an apparent bad choice and using it for good in a person life, if they receive the gift of God's help. I agree we are not big enough to stops God's will be He is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Limited freewill is apparent in us or God is not completely sovereign. He is also our influence or Agape could not have its way in us. Thanks Steve! I needed the encouragement this moment, really needed it.

      Delete
    2. If God wills all to believe, how could you resist it? For me, I experience desires to do evil in the midst of wanting so badly to turn away from these evil deeds etc. The problems I encounter are; 1. Seeing myself as God sees me.(opposed to what I was taught by churches of America, which is to try harder, be more sincere, mean it this time, rededicate, etc.) 2. picking my head up away from shame so I receive what is mine to enjoy(unconditional love). 3. Moving on without guilt to acknowledge that Christ really took my place and was punished for all my actions past, present, future(that is, future to me as I experience it.).

      When comes to chosing to accept it, I have to get over the humps of unbelief which I am coming to believe is the only real offense. When I see those who reject gods love, I notice they are either severely wounded in their spirit, or they have a blindness or no ears to hear. I believe god is the cause of our sight and our awareness of him, not us. His irresistible grace chases me.

      Delete
    3. If God wills all to believe, how could you resist it? For me, I experience desires to do evil in the midst of wanting so badly to turn away from these evil deeds etc. The problems I encounter are; 1. Seeing myself as God sees me.(opposed to what I was taught by churches of America, which is to try harder, be more sincere, mean it this time, rededicate, etc.) 2. picking my head up away from shame so I receive what is mine to enjoy(unconditional love). 3. Moving on without guilt to acknowledge that Christ really took my place and was punished for all my actions past, present, future(that is, future to me as I experience it.).

      When comes to chosing to accept it, I have to get over the humps of unbelief which I am coming to believe is the only real offense. When I see those who reject gods love, I notice they are either severely wounded in their spirit, or they have a blindness or no ears to hear. I believe god is the cause of our sight and our awareness of him, not us. His irresistible grace chases me.

      Delete
  2. God's RSVP: may we all accept His Invitation! Billy Graham used to give one. I'm sure if we listen to God 's Voice on a regular time clock we will open the door He is Attempting to open and we will fellowship koinonia and sup with Him at His Table of Fullness! And when we have regrets we know what second chance God we have! Excellent blog! Dave Candel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,
    You are so right about this! When will we stop crippling ourselves by putting God in a box!? Your writings have been a blessing to me! I have read your book Gracewalk and hope to read the others! Please keep up the good work you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Mcvey,I feel like crying again.I normally check your blog but each time I get a definite prodding to check,I always get sentences that resolve whatever is agitating my mind at that particular time.You are a blessing brother.Im deeply grateful for your timely writings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr Mcvey,I feel like crying again.I normally check your blog but each time I get a definite prodding to check,I always get sentences that resolve whatever is agitating my mind at that particular time.You are a blessing brother.Im deeply grateful for your timely writings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, I just finished reading "A Divine Invitation," and am now reading "Walking in the Will of God" as you had recommended to me.

    I am finding so much freedom from my anxieties of worrying about the troubles of tomorrows, and making the right decisions in learning about God's sovereignty. He really is an amazing God! I really liked the line you wrote "To insist on more than trust is to insist on control, and we aren't in control -- God is." I feel like He is telling me that His greater will for me is to simply trust Him.

    Knowing this brings me the kind of rest I need to simply abide in Christ and trust Him with my every being.

    I once worried that God would take away the gifts He gave me if I were to trust in Him because I felt that I don't deserve them. I thought that I had to take what He gave me and take care of it myself, but James tells us that "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." I know that I can continue to let Him write my story and expect it to be the most beautiful story I have ever experienced, because it is soaked in His grace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This morning in my devotions, the Lord lead me back to your book "A Divine Invitation" to pick up where I had left off a couple of weeks ago... This is the exact chapter--God spoke to me so clearly today through this message and He continues to break off religious chains and falty perceptions of Him and His Amazing Grace! Thank you so much for writing what God has shown you, for standing in truth even when it's unpopular. God bless you and thank you for all you do!
    ~Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve, this very morning in my devotions, the Lord lead me back to your book "A Divine Invitation" to pick up where I had left off a month ago. It was this very chapter. God spoke to me so clearly and continues to break chains of relion, legalism and bondage through your ministry. I sat through your Grace Walk conference last summer, I prayed and confessed that God has the right to do whatever He choose in me, to me, with me & through me, and that He would do so. Since then my entire life has been turned upside down and inside out, or should I say right side up? Praise the Lord! Thank you for writing & teaching, for sharing your journey & for standing in truth even when its unpopular--I appreciate you and thank you for all you do! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete