Search This Blog

Monday, August 08, 2011

Unfathomable Love

How do we handle it when life seems to make no sense?

I think about Job, who said, “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away; blessed be the name of the Lord!”

"Job, how can you say that? Don’t you see that cemetery?"
"Yes," he'd say, "but I also see that my Redeemer liveth and in the last day shall stand upon the earth."

I see Paul in prison.
"Paul, how can you write, 'Rejoice in the Lord always' in such circumstances?"
"Because I can see through that cell window and I know in Whom I have believed and I am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him until that day!"

I see Silas with Paul in prison, singing praises at midnight.
"Silas, don't you see those chains you're wearing?"
"Yes, I do" he answers as he shakes them to the beat of the song. "But I also see beyond those stars out there and I see a throne and Somebody is seated on it. He has it all under His control!"

What do you see today?

When you find drugs under the front seat of your teenager’s car?
When your stack of bills is deeper than your stash of cash?
When your doctor says “there’s nothing else I can do"?
When your sit alone at night knowing your mate is with somebody else?
When your teen age daughter says, “I’m pregnant"?
When you've buried your child?

What do you do? You look up! There is a throne in heaven at this moment and there is a omnipotent King on it . . . and He loves you! HE LOVES YOU!

The language of man isn’t big enough to describe His love. The letters of the alphabet can’t begin to describe the love of our King – but they try....oh, how they try!

1. The antecedent of His love is His own goodness – not yours.
2. The basis of His love is His deity – He is God and His love isn’t like that of a man. It is otherworldly, being neither motivated nor perpetuated by external reason.
3. The cause of His love is His own sovereign choice. “You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,” reverberate throughout the hidden corridors of eternity.
4. The depths of His love is a cross where He endured hell so He could take you to heaven.
5. The expression of His love is intimate.
6. The faithfulness of His love is infinite.
7. The greatness of His love is immeasurable.
8. The happiness of His love is unbridled.
9. The impact of His love is eternal.
10. The jealousy of His love is consuming.
11. The knowledge of His love is enough.
12. The limit of His love is without end.
13. The magnitude of His love is without limits.
14. The nature of His love is gentle.
15. The omnipotence of His love is without equal.
16. The patience of His love is superhuman.
17. The quality of His love is untarnished.
18. The relentlessness of His love will conquer you.
19. The sweetness of His love will comfort you.
20. The triumph of His love will calm you.
21. The uniqueness of His love will seduce you.
22. The voice of His love will call you by name.
23. The wonder of His love will captivate you.
24. The x-stravagance of His love will amaze you.
25. The yardstick of His love stretches into eternity in both directions.
26. The zenith of His love will bring you home, at last – where you will look deeply into your eyes and gently say, “How do I love you, Let me count the ways. . .”

You are His child and His children can never be beyond the reach of His love.
Jonah proved you can outrun our King’s love.
Lot bears witness you can’t out-sin His love.
Jacob laughs, “You can’t outsmart that King’s love.”
Enoch walked out on the world saying, “You can’t outlive His love.”

And Jesus came to say, “You can’t outdo my Father’s love! Come to Me. I AM MY FATHER’S LOVE!”

Do you want to see your Father’s love? Look at Jesus.
His Love is in the Song you get on your mind and can’t stop singing.
His Love is in the Melody in great music, the Beauty in great art and the Plot in great literature.
His Love is in the absolute Joy of a new marriage and the Abiding Comfort of an old one.
His Love is in the Anticipation of a kiss and the Thrill of marital intimacy.
His Love is in the Laugher in a joke, the Flavor in a gourmet meal.
His Love is the Shelter in the storm and the Rainbow afterward.

All the superlatives in the world bow in humble submission before Him...
He is the kindest – the greatest – the wisest – the dearest – the bestest – the mostest – the lovingest — Do you see what I mean? Human words turn stupid and start stumbling toward failure when they try to describe our Triune God's Love!

"Wonderful grace of Jesus
Greater than all my sin,
How shall my tongue describe it?
Where shall my praise begin?

Purchasing peace and heaven,
For all eternity,
The wonderful grace of Jesus
Reaches Me!"

He loves you. That's what's real. Hold onto that.


(This post may be reproduced if accompanied by proper acknowledgments that say "copyright, Steve McVey,2011. Used by permission." The post may be linked to other FB accounts without permission if its source is cited. This is content of a yet unpublished book.)

3 comments:

  1. unspeakably ecstatic in helping what doesn't make sense in life, its so reverberating yet in its echo of explaining ABSOLUTE LOVE, TRUE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Voice of God through the very words of God is writing His UNFATHOMABLE Love in the fabric of my life and the film where dreams are meant to flourish and bloom! Like the facets of diamonds we see perspective and various meaning in that LOVE! I loved your Journey To Intimacy With God Series! Great Blog Steve! Dave Candel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:37 AM

    He really is just that awesome....... in the midst of my pain I have felt the tangible, comforting, hopeful, most intmate presence of a VERY good God. So grateful for the revelation of that goodness. If I had to prop up my understanding with my own faith/works at this time, I would be most pitiable...... Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete