Search This Blog

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Why Am I Obsessed With One Topic - God's Love?

“I understand the love of God and thank Him for it, but that topic seems to be the only thing you talk about these days” someone recently wrote. “ There are other important things to know than just that. Why are you obsessed with this topic?”

It’s a fair question. If you’ll indulge me, I want to give a short background of my ministry in answering that question. Maybe by explaining where I’ve come from, it will be easier to understand where I am at this point in my life and ministry.

I began preaching when I was 16 years old. My first sermon was on “Youth Sunday” in my church. Shortly after that, I started preaching anywhere I could – at other churches, standing on the trunk of my car in the parking lot of the bowling alley, standing on the sidewalk outside the theater where people were waiting to go in, wherever I could find a spot where people were standing still, I’d preach. I became a senior pastor at 19 and no young pastor could have been more zealous.

I’m 56 now. That’s forty years. For those first twenty years, I was very sincere and our Father blessed the ministry he had given me through His grace. My heart was always in the right place. However, little by little my head began to move in the wrong direction. In other words, I began to think wrongly about ministry and about life in general.

I gradually became more and more convinced that my role was to teach people how they should live. So that’s what I did. Every week, my sermons would be filled with instruction, admonition and encouragement about what the listeners needed to do to be more pleasing to God. One week, I may talk about the importance of Bible study. The next week it might be prayer. Evangelism was a topic I repeated often. The topics varied but the common denominator in every sermon was the call to “rededicate yourself to Jesus Christ today” and try to do better.

If you’ve read my first book, Grace Walk, you know how what I preached didn’t even work for me. My secret thoughts were that I simply needed to do a better job of practicing what I preached.

Then in 1990, my world came crashing down. The feelings of success I had felt were snatched out from under me when I became senior pastor of a dying church. I thought it would turn around under my leadership, but it didn’t. It kept dwindling right out from under me. It was through that experience that our Gracious God brought me to a place of brokenness and to the place where I learned my identity in Christ.

I became consumed with the truth of who we are in Christ and for the past twenty years have been proclaiming that message. To this very day, nothing excites me more than to see the light of revelation come on in people’s lives as they come to realize their union with God. I will forever preach this message.

So, the first twenty years of ministry were spent telling people who they ought to be and could be if they would do the right things. The last twenty years have been spent telling people who they are in Christ and what it means to walk in grace.

Now, at 56 I embark upon the next twenty-year leg of the journey. While I have no intention of backing down on telling people who they are, I have experienced in my own
life a growing awareness that our God is moving me deeper into the desire to tell people who He is.

For years, I understood God the Father to be different from the Son in some ways. I know it sounds crazy, but I thought the Father was the “just” member of the Trinity who needed to have the books balanced when it comes to sin. In my mind, there was a debt that put mankind “in the red” on his books and in order to balance the record, somebody had to make a deposit – a big deposit, because the wages of sin is death.

In my thinking, Jesus was the “good guy” who wanted to make it right between God and us so He agreed to die in our place. God would punish Him so that His justice would be satisfied. Jesus willingly died, taking God’s anger over my sin upon Himself. I gave lip service to the idea that God loved me enough to pour out His anger on Jesus so that He wouldn’t have to pour it out on me, but for a long time I couldn’t help but think that it didn’t make sense that the anger He didn’t want to pour on me, He didn’t seem to mind pouring out on His son.

About six years ago, I began to be exposed to the idea that the “penal substitution theory” of the cross, which is the idea I’ve just described – Jesus being punished (penal) in my place (substitution) wasn’t the only way to understand what happened at the cross. I began to realize that the cross wasn’t a penal substitution, but rather a precious solution that was brought about by the Father, Son and Spirit, who all equally love humanity.

As I began to understand the communal relationship of love between the Father, Son and Spirit, I started to see that the idea that “God is love” isn’t incidental to any discussion of God. It is monumental. In fact, it is fundamental to having a clear view of who He is.

As I’ve grown in my understanding of this God of Love and His eternal intent to wrap His arms around all of humanity, it has transformed me in almost every way possible. It has changed how I see Him. It has changed how I see others. It has changed how I see the purpose of ministry.

To explain why I am obsessed with the love of God today would be like trying to describe why fish in the ocean are obsessed with water. It’s because I’ve come to see that the love of God is the environment in which we all live, because God is love and “in Him we live and move and have our being.” (Remember that Paul wasn’t talking to believers when he made that statement on Mars Hill.)

By the finished work of the cross, our God was reconciling the world to Himself. We are all included in what He did there. The “REALITY” of the cross is, “It is finished.” However, the “reality” of many in the church is that “it’s not really finished until I say so by my profession of faith.” What Jesus did doesn’t become real when we believe it. We believe it because it is real. Jesus did what He did and that’s true whether we believe it or not.

Does this mean everybody is a Christian? No, it does not. A Christian is a person who through faith has personally experienced the reality of what He accomplished on the cross. He is one who lives in the reality of resurrection life. An unbeliever is one who is not personally experiencing the benefits of the cross even though the reality is equally as true for him. Instead, he is living under a lie – the same lie that befell Adam in the Garden of Eden.

Hebrews 4:2 explains it this way: “For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in the those who heard.”

The “good news” is the same good news for everybody. But, until a person believes it, he will not personally benefit from it. The gospel we declare is the finished work of Jesus Christ. We aren’t to tell unbelievers what Jesus will do for them. The good news is in telling them what He already has done for them. We gladly tell them “God was in Christ reconciling (you) to Himself, not counting (your) trespasses against (you)!” Then we appeal to them, “Be reconciled to God!” In other words, “Believe it! God fully accepts you so accept Him and start living out of REALITY instead of from the delusion you’re stumbling around in right now!” (See 2 Corinthians 5:19-20)

This is the message of the love of God. It’s not a potential gospel of what He will do for the unbeliever if that person will first cast their vote for Him. “While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8) It is the pure gospel of what our God has already done for us before we could offer so much as a grunt in return. It is the announcement of “good news of great joy which will be for all the people.”

Our God has demonstrated His love for humanity by absorbing the sins of the world into His (the Son’s) body on the cross. He offered Himself by the power of the eternal Spirit (see Hebrews 9:14) and has shouted in victory “It IS FINISHED!”

This Triune rescue mission was a success! He came to “put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself” (Heb 9:26) and He succeeded. Ask Him to take away your sins and He will say, “I already did!”

I plan to spend the rest of my life telling people about the love of the Father, expressed through the Son in the power of the Spirit. If I get to heaven and have to apologize for overstating His love, I’ll readily do so. I’d rather make that mistake than have to apologize for understating His love. (The fact is that I don’t foresee any necessary apologizing in this area.)

Will you join me in this exciting ministry? I don’t have all the answers to objections and questions, but I encourage you to not to wait until you have all the answers to people’s objections and questions about the love of God before you join this grace revolution. We know The Answer and He will guide us as we move forward in expanding His kingdom on the earth.

Love is our motivation. Love is our methodology. Love is our message. Let’s just love. How is it possible to “miss it” if that is how we live our lives???

17 comments:

  1. excellent post Steve I 100% share your persuasion!
    this is a message I shared with pastorslast week ...
    Incarnation -http://www2.uhaveaudio.com/1292447654_32/mp3/g0/ql

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francois, I look forward to listening to this message. I have been encouraged by many of the things you've written and posted online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:04 PM

    This obsession on Gods love is beautiful. What a lovely post. The more one obsesses about Gods love, grace and freedom, the more HE fixes things and the more the obsession grows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. steve,

    very well done post.

    so, even before a person makes a 'confession of faith' and before they experience anything of God, i hear you saying that they are forgiven.

    but i would like to get crystal clarity about one thing, one thing that has been bugging me and i'm still looking for a very direct answer...

    ...before a person makes a 'confession of faith' and before they experience anything of God, then:
    do they have the Holy Spirit?
    do they have a 'new spirit'?
    do they have the life of Christ?
    are they 'reborn'?
    do they, as you called it, have 'resurrection life'?
    i am hoping for simple yes/no answers.

    grace + peace,
    lance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lance, we'd all like it better if the eternal questions had simple "yes" or "no" answers, but the fact is that to simply answer yes or no to some questions creates more confusion than clarity.

    I plan to teach through Romans 5 on the Sunday Preaching broadcast right after the first of the year and I will attempt to answer your questions in that format in a way that honors the questions and does justice to the answers. I'm not trying to dodge answering you now. It's just that this little Blogger comment box is not the place to try to give the answers that time/space requires to avoid being misunderstood. Hang with me and I will give answers - I promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok.
    it's just that many words -whether in print or in a video- are what make me confused.

    for instance, when i'm asked "so you're saying we can do anything we want?". i just say "yes".
    following up, then i ask, "what *do* you want?"

    for this subject, i am hoping to hear something like this: "yes".
    then, as a follow-up, something like this: "but are they experiencing it?"

    for me, that would be clear...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Steve. I totally get what you're saying. I used to preach instructional messages that I thought were so helpful. Now I don't know why anyone would preach anything other than Jesus (being the embodiment of God's unconditional love toward us). If I was given an opportunity to preach just 3 words, they would be "God loves you." And if I was given 6 words, I'd say it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. “I understand the love of God and thank Him for it, but that topic seems to be the only thing you talk about these days”
    When I hear a flippant statement like that about the love of God, I have to ask "Oh really? Do you?" I consider myself just beginning to grasp the love of God, and I can't imagine how we could ever exhaust the "topic."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve, Thanks you so much for your ministry. I'll gladly join you in the revolution. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. can anyone recommend a book or online resource about discipeling people in grace?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steve, This is a great post! I had this exact conversation yesterday with my wife as we were traveling to Memphis to see grandchildren. Thank you for putting the message of God's reconciling love in such clear writing.I can't wait for her to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steve, loved your post. I just saw your interview with Mike Morrison on the GCI website - very good! I downloaded it to share. And, good to see my friend Martin Davis posting on your blog! Hi, Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been an avid reader for a couple of years now but have never posted a response before. Sorry, this one might be a bit long.
    I have been reading, rereading, and studying with great interest your posts since early October. (So has the wife.) This reply is really a culmination of my response and my questions to your posts made since early October. There is much I agree with, but I am stumbling over one point which I will get to in a moment.
    I fully agree with your disagreement of limited atonement. The natural reading of the Scriptures is that "all means all" when it states that He died for all. I always felt a Calvinist had to do a lot of tap dancing to get around the natural reading.
    I fully buy into the idea that all are justified and made righteous by the Triune work of the Godhead at the cross. Everyone, and not just believers, have been made righteous. Nonbelievers don't reap the benefit of their righteousness but that does not make it not true. I think this is supported by the natural reading of the Scriptures.
    I think the clear teaching of the Scripture is that God is love too. It is His essential nature. Your emphasis on God’s love is awesome and I am a benefactor of your teaching. So far so good, but here is where we part company, at least for now. Hopefully you can show me something that I am missing in your teaching.
    Where I am having a hard time is with your elimination of "penal" in penal substitutionary sacrifice. It seems to me that the natural reading of the New Testament does not allow this. For example, I did a search of the NT (NASBU) and found "wrath" 41 times. Reading and comparing these passages I cannot help but form a picture of a God whose righteousness and justice demands some sort of penal solution to man's rebellion. (And I did look at "orge" in the Greek lexicon as you suggested in an earlier post. While orge can mean passion, it most commonly does seem to mean anger or wrath. I think your explanation about wrath seemed to be a bit of an "exegetical stretch". I think you have to do some tap dancing there. )
    I know that judgement can mean “to make a determination” and does not necessarily have to involve punishment. But the NT references about God's anger and wrath to those whose reject God (really Jesus) certainly sound more like they involve punishment and not just simply God making a determination of the facts. For example, if my wife states that she is going to pour out her anger and wrath on me based on my behavior and choices, I know that I am going to be sleeping on the couch for awhile. She is not just making a determination of the facts; she is handing out punishment too.
    (continued)

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Here is the rest of the post)
    The point is that while God is love, He is not just love. He is also righteous and holy for example. They too are His essential nature. In your teaching lately God’s love and other attributes seem to be an either-or rather than a both-and. But all of God's attributes are part of a dialectic in which they are all true, all the time, and somehow complete each other without contending with each other. No attribute is subordinate to or is canceled by another attribute. No one can adequately explain that. I wouldn't even want to try.
    To the point, the NT is full of references to the anger and wrath that God will direct towards men who have rejected Jesus. I cannot explain how (1) love and (2) anger and wrath function together in harmony, but then again I can't explain the Trinity or the incarnate God-man either.
    Just because I cannot explain the Trinity or the Incarnation, I don't throw them out. I get the feeling that you do throw out God's judgement because it is hard to rectify it with the Bible's teaching about God's love. For example, in a response to an ealier post you mentioned that you have found it hard to rectify the OT revelation of God with the NT revelation of God in Jesus. I will admit that the OT and NT do seem to paint a "Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde" view of God as you wrote, but the OT is still part of the Bible and therefore the "judgemental God" is still God. God still revealed this aspect of himself to the prophets in the OT and we cannot toss that part of the revelation out just because it does not seem to match what we see in Jesus. In fact, that seems to fit with a God whose nature includes both love, righteousness, and holiness.
    Why can't your "precious solution" mentioned in this post also be a penal solution? Are they really mutually exclusive? Does a penal solution make the solution any less precious? God loved me enough to figure out a way to take my punishment on Himself. That sure seems like love to me. In fact it seems more like love because God, in a sense, pays an even higher price to bring me back.
    In a comment to an earlier post another reader offered an example of the cross as being angry at the wife, forgiving her, but kicking the dog instead because "someone has to pay." I agree that this would be unjust because it is not right to punish a third party for someone else’s sin. But that is not what happened at the cross. A better example would be that of being angry at the wife, forgiving her, and kicking myself instead. God was in Jesus and Jesus was in God on the cross. He punished Himself somehow and not a third party. Now I don't pretend to know what the penal judgement was, but whatever that judgement was, He poured it out on Himself in Jesus.
    So, can you address all this in yet another post?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steve,
    Great post! There is one thing that must be clarified....the issue of God "accepting" an unbeliever (in the 20th paragraph). God loves the unbeliever, but He cannot accept the unbeliever until the unbeliever becomes a believer in Christ. Then only Christ in him makes him acceptable to the Father. As long as he is as sinner, he is not acceptable, albeit loved, to God.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful thoughts Steve! It reminded me of this wonderful thought of Paul's "after you have known God, or rather are known of God..." - our very lives are defined in His love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love because He first loved us.

    My very capability to love my husband, my children, my enemies....all of it comes from Him. How can this ever be overstated?

    Resting in Him,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete