Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

C.S. Lewis on The Finished Work of the Cross

"What, then, is the difference which He has made to the whole human mass? It is just this; that the business of becoming a son of God, of being turned from a created thing into a begotten thing, of passing over from the temporary biological life into timeless 'spiritual' life, has been done for us. Humanity is already 'saved' in principle. We individuals have to appropriate that salvation. But the really tough work--the bit we could not have done for ourselves--has been done for us. We have not got to try to climb up into spiritual life by our own efforts; it has already come down into the human race. If we will only lay ourselves open to the one Man in whom it was fully present, and who, in spite of being God, is also a real man, He will do it in us and for us. Remember what I said about 'good infection' One of our own race has this new life: if we get close to Him we shall catch it from Him." (C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, pp. 156-157).

Notice that Lewis says, "we individuals have to appropriate that salvation." He isn't saying (nor am I) that people go to heaven automatically, whether they believe or not. What he is saying is that it isn't our faith that makes it real. The cross made it real objectively. That's the good news of an objective reality that's real whether we believe it or not. But, when we believe it, how everything changes experientially!

6 comments:

  1. "What he is saying is that it isn't our faith that makes it real. The cross made it real objectively."
    What a relief. I used to live in the anxiety that it was the measure of my faith that was most important but really it seems to be more about the one I have faith in that matters more. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Joel. It's the measure of HIS faith that matters and I think we're good there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read much of C.S. Lewis. I'm not out to put anyone on a 'works treadmill,' but after we come to Christ don't we at least become aware thanks to His faith also of how to walk worthy or in other words obediently to the gold, silver, and precious stones we will be presenting to Him at the Bema Seat? Whatever God asks of us after coming to Christ initially we can accomplish thanks to His grace and gift of faith and most imnportantly His faith? Obedience is better than sacrifice but I do believe grace enables one step at a time & for God to see us through the lens of Christ and accordingly free from the wrath on Adam's race and condemnation in any way (Greek katakrina.) My hope is in God but I see a pretty big picture of grace and humungously big sometimes that just relieves my mind this walk in relationship to God through Christ is not passive but a reigning in beauty in artfully aroma-filled good works statues (from Him my Source. We're being chiseled out by God.) It helps me lay my head to believe how many times, Jesus said, "come," or "come to the waters," and, "I know you are thirsty, you won't be denied." Even when Jesus said, "sell what you have and give," He made it clear God is Holy. We play a participatory part but after coming to Him its a road He and I travel together then on enduring to the end. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave - we certainly do serve. It is the natural, or should I say supernatural, expression of Christ's life within us. We serve Him out of an overflowing sense of joy and love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Steve I DO believe in serving out of an overflowing sense of joy and love! It's also joy in my journey to be called a son with God. Thank you for C.S. Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much Jesus said and so little time to accomplish it! Whatever He says may we be quick swift and beautiful feet to obey them! Thank you God for overflowing joy and love!

    ReplyDelete