Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

Who Is God?

The pluralism of the planet we live on today is greater than any time in history. At the same time, that fact seems to be a contradiction to the growing merging of customs, cultures and convictions. When I was a child the countries and cultures of the world each had their own distinctive characteristics that plainly delineated one from another. Those differences are becoming less and less evident today. The Internet,television and the ease of travel from one side of the world to the other has caused much of global life to blend together in a way that syncretism seems to be the order of the day. Syncretism is the attempted merging of of differing belief systems.

One area where this "coming together" shows up plainly is the way we all perceive God. The word God is a title, not a name. To use the word elicits different meanings to different people. I remember speaking to a group of college students in China one time and mentioning Jesus Christ. They had never even heard His name and asked me who He is. I answered, "He is the Son of God." "Which God?" they replied. I think that was my first awakening to the fact that the word I've used all my life and took for granted that the word was understood by others the way I understood it doesn't mean the same thing to everybody. I remember another time when a young man in India told me he was fasting to his god and as we talked about it, I discovered he was actually fasting and worshiping a "monkey god" that day. Seriously, the man was fasting to a monkey.

So when we say "God," it seems important at times to clarify what we mean by our use of the word. Even among Christians, there is a foggy understanding of the word. Depending on where you grew up in church, chances are that your mind goes to one member of the Godhead while the others are marginalized. For instance, if you grew up in a liturgical church like Presbyterian or Episcopalian, you probably think of the Father. If you grew up in a Baptist or Methodist church, you most likely think of the Son. If your roots are in the Pentecostal or Charismatic world, the emphasis was on the Spirit.

Our God is a Triune God. He exists as three-in-one. Understanding the importance of the Trinity is of more importance than many Christians realize. Why does it matter that our God is triune in nature? It's because that reality sets forth the fact that our God is first and foremost relational. In the eternal realm, the Father, Son and Spirit have always and forever will exist in a circle of intimate love shared among the Trinity. That shared love is the most important truth we can speak about God.

John said, "God is love" (1 John 4:7-8). That is the most important thing that can be said about Him. When we speak of God, we speak of Shared Love. Unless we understand that, our own concept of Him will be skewed at best and completely perverted at worst. To understand the Circle of Love in heaven may be the most important thing we can grasp about Deity.

The God of the Christian is to be known as the One who loves. The very purpose for creation was to expand that circle of agape by bringing humanity into the Group Hug. By the work of the cross, that is exactly what has happened. To speak of God is to speak of Love. Anything we know and say about Him must point to Love. If our conclusions about who God is cannot be embedded in Love, then we have come to faulty conclusions.
Everything about Him must be seen through the lens of love. Love is the source for every action that flows from Him. For Love to act in a way that is unloving would be contrary to His very nature and God does not -- God cannot -- contradict Himself. His Integrity and character will not be impugned by an expression of non-love.

If you think you've seen something in the Bible that portrays God as unloving, I encourage you to realize that the way we know the character of God is by Jesus and only by Jesus. "In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe" (Hebrews 1:1-2). If you want to know who God is, look at Jesus and only Jesus. Look any further and confusion is inevitable. I can't reconcile some of the things I see in the Bible about God, especially in the Old Testament, but I don't have to reconcile them. Jesus came to show me what my Father is like. I suppose that when I get to heaven I can get all the answers about some of those hard passages in the Old Testament if it still matters to me, but I doubt if it will. So in the meantime, I'll just keep looking to Jesus to understand God. That's what the New Testament teaches us to do. Jesus, Himself, said, "If you've seen me, you've seen the Father" (John 14:9). So, look no further.

Our God is Love. God may exercise justice but He is Love. God may express wrath, but He is Love. God may possess wisdom, but He is Love. Add anything to the list you know about God, but be sure that you understand those qualities through the lens of Love or you'll miss the mark. Love is the Source of everything that comes from Him. When we understand that, it will reshape our faulty ideas that have contributed to a misunderstanding of God.

Many people talk about their god and describe him as a judge who must be appeased. Let's not fall into that trap. When we talk about our God, let's make sure that whatever we say about Him is fully flavored with the reality of the love He has poured out on all humanity. Who is God? God is love. That is is the DNA of the gospel of Jesus Christ. That is the message people need to hear and the truth that will reach them when nothing else will.

(For more teaching on this subject, check out my Sunday Preaching video at www.gracewalk.org. I'm currently going through a series called, "Dancing With Deity". This article is a part of what I'm teaching there right now.)

15 comments:

  1. I am currently avoiding "those hard passages in the Old Testament," and some in the New, e.g., "It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell" (Matt 18:9).

    I appreciate this ministry. I stuggle with so much fear in my life, and I cannot yet reconcile--or find rest with--these seeming contradictions in God's character. I really can't get enough of this grace message.

    Thank you all for your prayers for me to get over persistent fear and depression. I want to become an enthusiastic witness for Christ. I want to find rest in the Lord's love for me. (My family needs me, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your eyes on Jesus, Francisco. He is leading you even now and will guide you forward until you are fully enjoying the freedom and peace that is your birthright in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve,

    Thank you so much for your posts on this blog, I really appreciate it. It has helped me so much to understand the God of Love and Grace so much better. Grace has made me a new man, if only I knew all of these things earlier and avoided so many years stuck in Law. Now I am free!! and it is a message I am nailing to the doors of churches here in South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank u for this post Steve...I can relate to Franciso...Am trying to focus on the heart of the Gospel - God's unconditonal love for us....
    but lately have been going through severe torment over the book of James - mainly chapter 2: 14-26 which seems to be the opposite of the grace message and also chapter 5:19-20-i thought it's Jesus who turns a sinner from his ways? - yes we can participate in this but this passage seems to be opposite to the message of 'Christ in us'....
    Maybe you can do a Gracetalk on this sometime? I'm sure others have been troubled by these passages...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Revelation of the Love of the Father seems to keep growing more and more within you.


    Remember that your son in the faith will always be learning from you.

    Keep Digging Deeper...

    Little McVeito is just behind you.

    Love you
    Gerardo Vazquez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Gerardo :) You are a gift from the Father to this ministry and to me personally. No "father in the faith" could be more proud of his son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Out of the Collective, (what's your name?)
    I agree that our old friend, James, can be a challenge, huh? :) You know, Martin Luther argued that this book shouldn't even be in the Bible because he struggled so much with it. He called it "an epistle of straw."

    I don't agree with him, but do find it challenging. I think several things must be considered with James. First, he was writing without the complete understanding of "the mystery of the gospel" that Paul received and taught. Not all NT characters had the same understanding of grace as did Paul. For instance, Paul once confronted the Apostle Peter for his legalistic actions. So, while what James wrote is certainly not wrong (after all, it's Scripture), it doesn't tell the whole story and must be understood in light of the rest of the NT.

    Secondly, when we read James we need to see it through the lens of grace. He writes what it looks like AS we trust Jesus to be our Lifesource. If we don't interpret it that way, we fill find ourselves trying to do something in order to GET something from God and we know that's not right.

    Finally, there are things in James that just don't make sense. Ironically, I wrote my doctoral dissertation on the book of James back in the 1980s but now I don't agree with me back then :) So, having come to grace, there are things in James that I read and think, "What in the world were you thinking when your wrote that???" But, it's okay. I don't have to understand. I know what I know about grace and the rest of the NT clearly teaches a grace perspective. So when I come to passages in James (or any other book) that makes no sense in terms of grace, I wrestle with it to understand and, if I can't understand, I shrug my shoulders and move on. The danger I find, and something that always baffles me, is how that some Christians will come upon a "James-type-passage" and will let it shake their confidence in the truth of grace, despite the fact that the rest of the NT CLEARLY shows grace. My point is that we shouldn't get bogged down over things that we don't understand when there are so many CLEAR passages on grace that we can readily understand.

    I hope this helps,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Out of the Collective,

    Andrew Farley has a sermon on the whole faith and works thing in James, which might shed some light on chapter 2. You can find his Web site at http://ecclesiaonline.com/. To find this sermon, click on "Recent Messages" in the Media Center. Then, look for the sermon called "05-02-10 Justified by Works."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Steve.
    yes i had read that Martin Luther didn't like the book of James very much.

    What u say makes sense. Someone else said to me that those tough parts of James can't be contrary to Paul's message of grace,and told me to relax - that the meaning may unfold later. Otherwise it is teaching salvation by works....Another passage helps - in one of Corinthians books it says "The law kills, but the Spirit gives life" - now, if one feels condemned reading the book of James than one is interpreting it in a 'law based' way...Makes sense!
    Also another person said to me - "rather than try to understand a piece in a puzzle-first see the whole picture of the puzzle" - otherwise i guess i can get myself in knots over small parts of the bible.

    And Texasgirl - thanks, i will look at that andrew farley sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Texasgirl - I listened to the Andrew Farley sermon on 'faith and works'

    Sorry, but it only confused me more - seemed to be a mixed message - Only seemed to make me self focused....He used the word 'decison' for 'works' and to me only ended up making the dilemma worse... On the one hand he said that James 2 passage is not about christians after salvation - yet he later quoted Revelation - "behold i stand at the door and knock" and applied it as if it's a 'salvation invitation' - where most informed believers know it's about the church returning to it's first love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Collective--

    I'm sorry to hear that Dr. Farley's sermon didn't help any. His message was clear to me, but that doesn't mean it helps everyone.

    I encourage you to keep asking and searching. God will either tell you not to worry about it or give you some answers.

    By the way, the "behold I stand at the door and knock" passage is often used as a salvation verse AS WELL as a call to the church to return to its first love. It can (and does) apply to both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It just seemed to me that Dr Farley's message subtly reinforced the 'performance treadmill' message...
    I can relate to how Luther wanted to rip out the book of James.....a couple weeks ago i was so troubled by this that i was almost ready to be put in a padded cell....Seriously..
    What i said in my first post and what Steve said are hopefully closer to the truth....I can only focus on 'salvation totally by grace' and hope that this James dilemma will become clear to me later on.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:31 PM

    Hello Out of the Collective,

    I deeply relate with what you’re saying. I’ve struggled in a similar manner many times, especially concerning this passage in James. I have found peace over time and wanted to share a few things in the event that you might also find them to be helpful.

    First off, I’m not entirely convinced that James is talking about salvation here. While it does seem like that at first glance, if this is the case, then he would be contradicting the words of Christ. I believe the Bible does not contradict itself which brings me to think that I’m probably reading into this passage something that is not entirely true. It sounds to me more so that James is probably dealing with a situation here where people are making irresponsible decisions such as, proclaiming the good news of the Gospel but then not helping someone physically when they are able and have an opportunity. A fictional example that might help: you have loads of extra cash in your pocket, a friend tells you him and his family are starving, instead of giving him some cash you try to share the Gospel with him and then walk away leaving him hungry. Now then James might approach you and say, “What are you doing?!?! How do you expect him to take to the good news of the Gospel seriously if you’re not willing to help him physically too? If you just exercise faith without any works then how do you expect people to believe its really good news? That type of faith will save no one.” I tend to think that the “saving” and “justification” that James mentions here has more to do with man rather than God- I’m very hesitant to think this passage in any way should be interpreted in the context of salvation. Lastly, it’s important to note too that James was heavily involved in the Jewish culture. (If I have my history right) So he will have a Jewish bias, and he was probably dealing with others with the same bias in this letter. It wouldn’t be the first time that Scripture, or the disciples/apostles/church members, accommodate to a cultural bias either because of ignorance or for the larger sake of the Gospel (the command not to eat food offered to idols in the book of Acts when a few books later Paul says don’t abstain). Much of Scripture is situation specific and needs to be interpreted as such rather than in a larger context.

    Second, remember my brother, if you’ve seen Christ then you have seen the Father. Christ was not constantly measuring performance and neither is the Father. I believe he hates this because it hinders a genuine relationship with Him. We must remember that even good works are secondary to that relationship and the good works mentioned in the Bible are only those that flow freely out of that relationship. I think God sees the same value in a forced work as He does in a deliberate sin. Both are contradictory to His purpose- a relationship. I imagine He’d rather we do nothing all day every day than force works. From Genesis to Revelation we’re invited into a relationship. Works are one of the most deceptive ways to hinder that relationship so I find it highly unlikely that the purpose of this text is to teach us that our relationship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is to be measured by good works. That’s a lie from the devil.

    If you’re anything like me you are probably looking for a scholarly treatment of that text and hoping it finds favor in grace as opposed to works. Though I haven’t read this yet, a professor from Dallas Theological Seminary wrote what’s supposed to be one of the best, if not the best, treatments on this matter. Once and for all he supposedly puts to rest the “faith without works is dead” argument. Below I’ve included links to his blog, website, and his book on Amazon.

    I hope this helps and may you find peace my brother.

    Book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Back-Faith-Fred-R-Lybrand/dp/1607918870/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277747127&sr=8-1

    Website:
    http://www.backtofaith.com/

    Blog:
    http://fredlybrand.wordpress.com/


    Blessings,

    Erkki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:57 PM

    PS- I meant to add that Fred Lybrand's book, Back to Faith, specifically and extensively deals with James chapter 2.

    - Erkki

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Erkki!!

    That has really helped me! What you've said here makes the alot of sense to me....

    I've been troubled by this passage before over the years, but nowhere near as much as it troubled me recently...maybe that's cos counselling i'm going through has raised vulnerable areas to the surface....But your words have really helped...I will print them off if you don't mind.

    And i will chek out this Fred Lybrand book - sounds interesting!

    by the way my 'name' "out of the collective" is a concept based on the Star Trek 'baddies' ''The Borg'' - i liken it to the process many of us go through of coming out of a machine like life - whether it be the world's rat race in general, or sometimes the institutional church,which many people i know also understand.

    ReplyDelete