Search This Blog

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Free Will Isn't As Free As We'd Like To Think

Do you remember when you first began to consider the claims of Christ? Up until that time, you didn’t seek to know Him. Maybe you had no interest whatsoever in spiritual things. Maybe you held a sense of religious respect toward Him, but following Jesus wasn’t high on your list of goals.

Then things changed. Do you remember when you found your thoughts moving, not away from Him, but toward Jesus? You found yourself thinking in ways you had never thought. Your interest in Christ began to grow until you were actually attracted to Him.

What brought about the change? Was it some spiritual virtue within you that had been lying dormant until now? Not according to the Bible. Remember the passage already quoted from Romans 3. Unless the Holy Spirit begins to draw people to Christ, “they never give God the time of day.” Jesus, Himself, said, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him . . .” (John 6:44).

You are a believer because the Divine Lover enticed you by His love. He miraculously stirred you to life and caused you to want Him. You would have never wanted Him on your own. It is His love alone that initiates and consummates our salvation.

Jesus loves you enough that He supernaturally seduced to you Himself. By revealing His beauty and his passion for you, He loved you until you loved Him right back! You are a Christian for one simple reason – Jesus Christ decided that He wanted you and wouldn’t give up until you were His.

What about your will in salvation? Don’t we exercise our own free will? Consider how the following marriage metaphor might help in answering that question.

Suppose a husband has a desire for physical intimacy with his wife one morning, but she’s not in the mood. However, he knows her well and understands what it takes to “put her in the mood.” So he determines to change her mind through the course of the day.

He has heard Gary Smalley say that “love making begins in the kitchen,” so he washes dishes after mealtime, telling her to relax, that he’ll handle it all. He has heard James Dobson teach that women want to feel valued, so he expresses sincere verbal appreciation for his wife. He remembers reading where Tim LaHaye suggested that women want romance, not just sex. So he leaves a red rose and a love note on his wife’s pillow before she goes to the bedroom that night.

All throughout the day and the evening, this husband diligently expresses love to his wife in non-physical ways. He takes these steps because he sincerely loves her. However, he does want a particular response from her. He acts toward her in ways that he knows she will understand as expressions of love from him.

That night, he holds her in his arms. He begins to tenderly kiss her. . . Maybe I should stop there. Do you know what happens then? Her will is changed. Because of her husband’s love for her and the effective ways he has expressed it all day, she finds that her will has been changed to align with His will.

On the next morning, after being ravished (see Proverbs 5:18-19) by her husband’s love, the question may be asked. Whose will was it that determined how the events of the night before unfolded – his or hers?

It’s true that she exercised her choice in the matter. However, the fact is that her will had been taken captive by her husband’s love until it became one with his will. You might say that his seductive love refused to be satisfied until her will was “brought to life” to align with His.

Jesus loves you so much that He orchestrated the details of your life to guarantee that your will which was “dead to Him” would be made alive. He gave you a will to know Him or you never would have wanted Him at all. The Bible says, “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God” (John 1:12-13).

12 comments:

  1. Thanks Steve
    I believe this is one of those foundational posts. The last verse talks about something that has already happened “were” an indicative action by Jesus and now the imperative to “receive” because of the Spirit, allows us to enjoy the relationship with the Father. If we do not receive the convincing of the Spirit the right of child to Father has been damaged by our own unbelief. However the Father, through the Spirit will continue to try to convince us of the person and finished work of Jesus. We can believe or live in unbelief for eternity! The latter is a perishing thought! jg

    ReplyDelete
  2. "However, he does want a particular response from her. He acts toward her in ways that he knows she will understand as expressions of love from him."

    Isaac and his seeking out of Rebeckah is like the how God romances and courts man until he's won over. I agree with your authors Steve and would throw in Gary Chapman who authored, The Five Love Languages, that once we're on God's list He goes out of His way to show love in a language of five kinds that will create the 'atmosphere.' "A bottle of reds, bottle of whites, whatever mood you're in tonight, that I'll meet you any time you want at our Italian Restaurant," by Billy Joel inspired me about how God believes in me to belong to Him. I'm not living "My Life," but I've surrendered to the "King Of Hearts," as Randy Stonehill's song goes. Imagine how hard it is to imagine as men we're Bride of Christ and for ladies to see God like we've just described Him! unless its in the Mind of God and we respond out of smitten romance, "Romanced By God," the perfect gentleman. Dave Candel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve you are quite the romantic!
    What if the husband's efforts did not 'work' though? Just a thought.....
    I was just telling someone on FB about the way I got saved - never wanted to be a Christian, but Jesus wouldn't leave me alone, He pursued me for a long time. In the end I gave in because I couldn't resist the Love I felt from Him. Even then I was uneasy about some doctrines. People said "but what about this weird doctrine or this thing in the Bible". I couldn't answer, all I knew was Jesus' Love was irresistable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the husband's effort didn't work, he'd be disappointed. However, the Divine Lover is much more persuasive than any human being :)

    I love your salvation story. You've pointed out the key: Knowing our Father is a heart issue, first and foremost not an intellectual one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John - I agree. That's what Trinitarian Agape is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Steve! I found that all of a sudden i was 'alive' to God when salvation happened. Up until that point i never thought of God as someone i could relate to personally and worship.
    I would go further than the husband and wife analogy though - we were dead until Christ comes to make us alive - dead like we are a skeleton in a coffin buried at the bottom of a 30,000 ft ocean trench.
    A great book i recommend on this topic is "The Really Bad Thing about Free Will" by martin zender - has so many good points with great humour throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh my dear friend and brother, you are SO singing my song NOW!! You are SO speaking my language here, MM-HMMMM!!! This is the most beautiful beautiful sweet love of my Master and how He has His way with me!!! And OH how glad I am of it, how very very glad I am of it!!! He makes me so deliriously happy. I never knew joy or peace until He captivated my heart and will and swept me into His arms and I never want to be apart from Him again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO SO TRUE!!! Steve, maybe next you can write something about free will vs. will power. I'm so sick of hearing Christians speak as if they're the same thing.

    Thank you, brother.
    -Brigit

    ReplyDelete
  9. I *almost* really, really enjoyed this post.

    Where I had the hardest time with it was that the illustration begins with a husband who knows his wife well enough to know what puts her in the mood, and then proceeds to detail that he really doesn't know... he's taking his cues from the advice of LaHaye, Dobson and Smalley.

    Thing is, Jesus knows US intimately enough to know what we need without help or advice, and knows that flowers might be appropriate to win one, but wine and conversation might win another.

    Otherwise, this was a great post. He does woo us, win us and capture our hearts for Himself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Jesus loves you so much that He orchestrated the details of your life to guarantee that your will which was “dead to Him” would be made alive. He gave you a will to know Him or you never would have wanted Him at all."

    I've never heard it put this way before, but wow. Thank you for letting the Lord speak His Truth through you. He is good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not know if I fundamentally agree with that. I do not think that the language of Scripture says that God "woo'd" me to Himself. Paul and other New Testament writers use very strong language about how I personally hated God, while the language of the Marriage metaphor makes it so that we are already in a committed relationship.

    Being a slave to sin and Satan, I needed more than wooing. In fact, to even respond to God's wooing I needed a complete change of heart (ie. a heart of stone to a heart of flesh). The wife already has love in her heart for her husband, and her thinking upon all he has done for her changes her desire. I, on the other hand, had no desire for God, my works were evil and dark, thus I hated the good and the light.

    I would add more, but I think you get the basic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris - I agree that the metaphor breaks down if carried far enough. I'm not seeing where we have such a disagreement. I agree with you that our hearts need to be changed in order for us to respond. He does that. I agree that we hated the light and that our deeds were evil and dark.

    My point was that He changed our will because we could never have changed it ourselves. Maybe I'm not getting the basic idea of your response. Or maybe you've not clearly understood the point I was attempting to make. As I said, I'm not seeing where we're apart on this. Love changes our will. Even though the marriage metahpor can ultimately break down, I think of my sister in law, who didn't like a certain guy AT ALL but he kept on showering her with his love until she finally fell in love with him and married him. So the point is the same. Love conquers our will and transforms it.

    ReplyDelete